No more soap sales + being copied

I have discontinued soap sales, at least temporarily. I have had a lot of fun over 18 years making soap and meeting so many other interesting people. Thank you everyone .
Maybe I will get back to it again later, but meanwhile I will be making only for personal use and gifting..


Sep 3, 2011

August Was



a trip back into time when i went to RPAH and saw a showcase with some WW2 memorabilia.
the nurses uniform is the exact one that was worn by the deputy matron when i was a student nurse.
she was known as the "grey nurse ". and she was.!!!!  (as in grey nurse shark... for those who dont live
 on coastal waters) i have often felt that her generation of nurses owed some of their attitudes to the tough times they no doubt experienced in the war.
the uniform that she maintained well into peace time sort of reinforces that thought




a couple of flowers as i watered the garden






2 comments:

minnie said...

Diane, didn't all deputy matrons wear grey uniforms? I did my training at St Lukes in Kings Cross, seeing that pic of the uniform it brought back memories for me, I am sure deputy matron wore grey and matron wore white, sisters wore blue.

Minnie

diane buckley said...

hi minnie
at PA there was, to the best of my recollection, some diversity at the very senior level.
the matron was white, her deputy, the grey nurse, was grey, assistant deputies were, i think blue.
there was one hold out assistat deputy tho who wore something different. i cant for the life of me think why she was different. maybe it was simply a cape colour.

i have huge difficulty remembering the ward sisters uniforms..but a blue of some shade.there was only one per ward and the rest of the staff were students.

i had a yarn today with my sister who was at PA 8 years behind me.
she wore a "normal" blue uniform....not the horrible apron i had. the ward sisters were then in a royal blue and the matron in white. she has no recollection of deputy matron or assistant deputy matrons. how lucky is she !!!

i did a lot of work at st lukes in the mid 1960s before going overseas.
on the wards and as a *special*.
i dont recall much of those years or the bit i did there in the early 1970s but if i was pressed to give a colour i would have said .....white.
which is obviously not correct for ward staff.

of my years at PA.....1961-1965.... i can see now that there was real influence from the war years.
the doctors had in some cases learned their plastic surgery in the war and some of the surgeons were good because of extreme practise.

i think my point was that for the grey to have survived what i now know was a war time uniform.....is to me odd. i would think that nearly 2o years later (early 1960)they would have changed.
apparently not

the change however did take place after i left PA and is very evident in my sisters experiences

wish i could remember all i have forgotten :-))

thanks minnie

diane